Making a Career Fair Work for You
By Melonie Jackson, Director of Human Resources, Methodist Charlton Medical Center
If you’re even thinking about a career change, career fairs offer great opportunities to explore your options. Career fairs showcase a hospital’s clinical specialties and staffing needs, while giving you a chance to look more closely at the organization and the people who work there. They enable you to see what other health care facilities have to offer so you can make a more informed decision about an important step in your career.
Why go to a career fair?
Career fairs help you to learn more about a hospital’s culture, network, and build relationships with other professionals in your specialty area. In some cases, career fairs put you on the fast track in the hiring process since hiring managers and human resource representatives are on-site.
To maximize your experience at a career fair, preparation is key. Here are some tips to remember:
- Take your resume and be ready to discuss your strengths such as specialty training, education, and experience or aspirations. In other words, tell the prospective employers why they should hire you.
- Dress professionally. First impressions count.
- Take the initiative and do your homework. Research prospective employers by studying their websites, going to hospitalcompare.gov, and networking with other clinicians in your field. Which certifications have they achieved? Which awards have they received? Are they a good fit for you?
- Finally, be prepared to ask questions about the hospital and the system. It’s just as important for you to interview prospective employers as it is for them to interview you.
If you’re a nurse who’s looking for a change, maybe it’s time to turn over a new leaf with your career. I encourage you to attend Methodist Charlton Medical Center’s Cool Fall Career Fair on Thursday, September 15 (see more details below). The event offers a chance to learn about Methodist Health System and Methodist Charlton, ask questions, and meet our nursing leadership.
Why Methodist Charlton?
The leadership team at Methodist Charlton is dedicated to growth and development and truly has a heart for nursing. Nurses thrive here. Nurses are supported at all levels, and at the end of the day know they’ve been part of carrying out the mission of our hospital.
Here are some other great reasons to consider Methodist Charlton:
- Methodist Charlton has a 98.2 percent core measure quality score.
- We received a five-star rating four years in a row for our maternity care from HealthGrades®, the nation’s leading independent health care ratings organization.
- We have one of only four family medicine residency programs in the area.
- Last year we expanded our campus, adding a new eight-story patient bed tower and a specially designed cardiac operating room. In addition, we have just announced a new expansion and renovation with expected completion in fall 2012.
At Methodist Charlton, we’re always on the lookout for people who are upbeat and energetic, enjoy variety, and are compassionate. That’s because caring for patients here is more than a job. It’s a calling. It’s camaraderie. It’s a unique culture, even at the unit level.
The Cool Fall Career Fair is your ticket to a brighter future. Our fair is designed to show you how much we love nurses who specialize in medical/surgical, critical care, emergency care, and women’s services. In fact, we’ll shower you with a healthy dose of appreciation with cooking and wellness demonstrations and hand massages. And every 30 minutes, we’ll be giving away cool prizes like an iPad 2® tablet, iTunes® gift cards, fall mums, and more. Mark your calendars now and plan to attend.
Cool Fall Career Fair
Thursday, September 15, 2011
3 – 7 p.m. in the front lobby, Methodist Charlton Medical Center
3500 Wheatland Road, Dallas, TX 75237
On-the-Spot Interviews • Music • Prizes
To learn more about nursing and other health care careers at Methodist, visit Jobs.MethodistHealthSystem.org.
© Methodist Health System