Top 10 Ways to Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
By Beth Leermakers, Employee Health Coach
- Easy. Make healthy eating a no-brainer. Identify a few healthier choices at your favorite restaurants, and then stick with those foods.
- Out of reach. Keep high-calorie, tempting foods or beverages out of your house. When they’re out of sight, they’re out of mouth.
- Eat only when you are truly hungry (such as when your stomach is growling). Eat slowly and stop eating when you are no longer hungry.
- Start your day with a healthy breakfast. Keep a few grab-and-go items on hand such as yogurt, fruit, instant oatmeal, or a hard-boiled egg.
- Enjoy an occasional treat. Instead of keeping many treats at home, buy one perfect cookie or one scoop of ice cream, and then savor every bite.
- Find a physical activity that you enjoy. Dance or swim or hike or walk the dog or shoot hoops. The important thing is to focus on “play” rather than “exercise.”
- Daily routine. Build physical activity into your daily routine. For example, take the stairs, park further away, work in your yard or garden, wash the car by hand, or clean your house. These all count as physical activity.
- Turn off the television. Sixty-two percent of National Weight Control Registry members (who’ve lost at least 30 pounds and kept it off for at least one year) watch fewer than 10 hours of television per week.
- Sleep. Get at least seven hours of sleep a night. Lack of sleep has been linked to weight gain, in part because people often overeat when they are tired.
- Support. Surround yourself with people who share your healthy habits. At a family feast, sit next to a person who makes healthy food choices. Spend time with friends who make physical activity a priority and who will encourage you to do the same.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a daily choice. Remember to call your employee health coaches for support and tips. Wishing good health to you!