New Year, New Career at Methodist Health System
By Preston Miller, SPHR
Human Resources Director
Methodist Charlton Medical Center
Where did the year go? If you’re like most people I know, the holidays caught up with us before we were ready and now New Year’s is upon us. Are you making resolutions this year? The most common resolutions are related to living a healthier life — losing weight and exercising more. But have you thought of improving the health of your career?
Think how much time you spend at work — eight, 10, 12 hours a day. That’s probably more time than you spend with your family and friends every day. Investing so much time in something you don’t particularly enjoy isn’t healthy for you or your employer. How do you know if you are investing your time wisely? Ask yourself these questions:
- When people ask me about my job, is my immediate reaction positive or negative?
- At the end of my workday, am I pleased with what I’ve accomplished and excited about the role I’ve played in my company?
- When I wake up in the morning, am I energized by the type of work that I do?
- Do I look forward to going to work? Am I continuing to grow professionally and personally?
- Am I being challenged on a daily basis?
If you can’t answer yes to each of these questions, then it’s time to consider making some changes.
At Methodist Health System, we are looking for employees who connect with our patients, express a spirit of caring, and are supported by clinical expertise. In return, we are committed to supporting our employees in several ways:
- Providing the resources to help employees maintain their highest level of personal wellness
- Living our faith-based mission every day and supporting our employees’ spiritual needs
- Continually developing and reinforcing a feeling of family, teamwork, and collaboration
- Celebrating with our employees through picnics, receptions, awards ceremonies, and more to give them a well-deserved pat on the back. Our goal is for employees to feel supported and appreciated for the people they are and the work they do serving our patients and community.
At Methodist Charlton Medical Center, we have amazing camaraderie. We’re part of one of the largest health systems in the area, but it really feels like a hometown community. We support employees so they can support our patients. We also encourage constant learning and provide daily opportunities for employees to expand their knowledge base.
If you’re interested in making a positive career move in the new year, research Methodist’s mission, values, and core beliefs to see if they align with yours. Ask lots of questions. Think about what’s important to you and the people with whom you will interact. Consider which direction you want to steer your career. If you’re finding lots of green lights, then you’ll know that Methodist is the place for you.
Cheers to the new year and the health of your career! Learn more by visiting Jobs.MethodistHealthSystem.org.
© Methodist Health System