Sonya Jennings is Methodist Health: Just getting started.
By Sonya Jennings
Sonya is an administrative assistant in Surgery and Recovery at Methodist Mansfield Medical Center. After caring for a family of five, Sonya’s ready for a new challenge: exercising to improve her core strength and making better food choices. Sonya’s goal is to now learn how to take care of herself.
1. How are you feeling now? Why do you want to become healthier?
I feel fat, tired, and ugly. I want to be healthy so I will have more energy and feel good about myself. I’ve taken care of everyone else my entire life. Now it’s time for me to learn how to take care of myself!
2. What are your goals to become healthier?
I quit smoking a month ago. I need to lose weight. I need to get stronger and improve my balance.
3. What do you need from your co-workers, team members, friends, and family to help you achieve your goals?
Please encourage and motivate me! I have secretly tried to lose weight before, but I could quit and no one would know. You can help me by holding me accountable.
4. What is the hardest change in lifestyle that you expect to experience?
That’s easy. Healthy eating will be my biggest change. I used to cook for a family of five. Now I’m divorced and the children are grown. I don’t feel like just cooking for myself at night, so I usually get fast food or nibble on cheese and crackers. Who would think I’d be as big as a cow when I eat like a mouse. LOL.
5. When you reach your wellness goals, it will all be worth it because:
I will look better, feel better, and I should live longer. Hey — maybe I will even get a boyfriend!